Mark your Calendars! Saturday, February 1st is Take Your Child to the Library day! My library will be one of over 350 new libraries participating (at last count). It’s a great way to connect with other libraries around the country as well as invite families to the library. Your celebration can be as simple as advertising the day or as complex as planning a menu of programs.
We decided to participate at the last minute, but with the help of the event blog, I found some ideas that I could put together quickly and easily. Here’s what I’ll be doing to help families celebrate.
- Library LEGO Club: themed and free building for two hours (ages 7-12, parents welcome)
- Guessing Jar Contest (Guess how many items are in the large glass jar. The person who guesses correctly wins it all, including the toothbrush inside. (Idea found on the event blog.)
- Stop by and say hello to your librarians
- Enjoy a good book as a family
- Explore one of our popular, AWEsome early literacy computers together